Saturday, August 09, 2008

An Introduction

My name is Peter Pike, and I’m a writer. Thank you, you’re too kind. But please, my story…it’s long and when will it end?

I didn’t mean to become addicted to writing. I know, we’re all in that boat here, yes. I started out small, like most of you did. I just read books. I entered reading contests, and my parents even encouraged it.

Yes, I think it’s shocking too.

Before you knew it, my imagination was…well, I don’t think “exploding” is too vivid a word. I imagined the stories I read and then I improved on them. I played with Tom Sawyer in the cave, and then I had Martians attack him.

Yes, these stories were convoluted and fragmented. But my family loved them.

What’s that you say? Yes, I suppose they were enablers. I doubt I would be addicted to writing today if it weren’t for them. But I digress.

As time went on…as I wrote more and more…well, my stories…they just seemed to take on a life of their own. After a while, I was writing every day. A little here, a little there. And suddenly there was a novel.

I couldn’t hide it anymore. And so I come here today to invite you on my journey, a journey I will take with all of you too. A journey through writing. A little fragment of something here. A poem there. Perhaps a limerick just for kicks. Who knows?

All I know is that I feel relief having made this confession. And so I stand before you all as we acknowledge with one voice:

Writing isn’t what I do. It’s what I am.

Thank you.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home